The Faux-lafel Friday
Yep. This version of the falafel is stellar. No joke. My (“wannabe” chef) boyfriend, who tends to be extremely hard to impress in the food department, said this was one of the best things he’s had. Score for me!
This dish is not only super healthy, but pretty much the only fat it contains is from the tahini and a dash of olive oil- healthy fats! I even used some of my vegetable juice pulp, recycling the leftovers. And it’s easy. Don’t let the list of supplies fool you. Super simple, healthy, vegetarian, gluten free meal.
Cooked chickpeas, black beans, adzuki beans, tahini, lemon juice, veggie pulp, shredded carrots, etc.
(full recipe below)
Hey, I work out HARD. I can have one…
*Yum. Speaking of guilty pleasures, I indulged a little last night. Coconut Porter beer from the Maui Brewing Co. Must try. It is on my imaginary Top 5 Beers list.
The Faux-lafel Friday (Thursday’s dinner for me, hopefully Friday’s for you)
- 2 cups beans of choice
- 1/4 cup shredded carrots
- 1/4 cup veggie pulp (completely optional)
- 3 tbsp tahini
- 3 tbsp white onion, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp lemon juice and/or apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp chickpea flour (or other gluten-free flour)
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1-2 garlic gloves, crushed
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- pepper, cayenne pepper, red pepper flakes, corriander, paprika to taste
Mix all together, mashing beans. Mixture should be lumpy.
Form into patties on a greased cookie sheet and brush with olive oil. Bake at 425 degrees for 10 minutes each side, 20 minutes total.
- 7oz. container of yogurt of choice (exact amount does not matter)
- 1 tbsp tahini
- 2 tbsp lemon juice or apple cider vinegar
Mix all together, adding a little water if mixture is too thick.
- 3 tomatoes, seeded and cut into small pieces
- 1/2 medium cucumber, peeled and chopped into small squares
- 2 green onion, finely chopped
- 1 chile pepper, minced with seeds
- handful fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- dash of rice wine vinegar
- dash of salt
Chop, slice, dice, mix.
Stuff your little Faux-lafel heart out! Enjoy with lettuce and sliced pickles for an authentically delicious meal.