Bacon Avocado Paleo Veggie Roll
Last night I went into my kitchen with drive and determination and left with a roll to be reckoned with.
With about 7 tabs open on my browser, I was ready to make D I N N E R.
And dinner I made.
stalking browsing my friends’ blog for a while, I decided that their faux sushi roll looked pretty damn good (and easy!) so my avocado’s fate laid with this…
Garlic and onions.
Flaky white fish.
All rolled up into wonderful.
Now THIS is dinner.
Bacon Avocado Paleo Veggie Rolls
Makes 2 large rolls, or 4 regular rolls
- 2-4 nori sheets
- 1 ripe avocado
- 2 cans sardines (in spring water) or 2 fillets of white fish, cooked (I used 1 can sardine, 1 fillet tilapia)
- 3 strips of bacon, roughly chopped
- 1/2 small white onion, finely diced
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- dash of salt and pepper
- 1 large carrot, peeled and sliced into strips (or use peeler to peel into strips)
- 1 zucchini, sliced into strips (with knife or peeler)
- 2 large swiss chard leaves, or kale, or other green of choice, chopped into strips
- 1 tube wasabi paste and/or sriracha sauce, optional
- Miso Sauce (recipe below)
In a skillet, heat onions and bacon, stirring frequently, until onions are soft and bacon is cooked through. Place in a large bowl.
To the bowl, add your sardines, or fish, avocado, garlic powder, lemon juice, salt, and pepper. Mix, mash, and marry everything together, mashing the avocado and fish to combine. Set aside.
On a large cutting board, place one nori sheet flat, shinny side down. Spread 2-3 spoonfuls of avocado mixture onto the nori sheet and start to spread evenly. NOTE: start spreading from closest to you, outward. Try to cover the first 2/3 of your sheet, leaving the last 1/3 or so empty.
Top avocado mixture with a few strips of carrot, zucchini, and chard leaves. Dab on a few dots of wasabi paste and/or sriracha sauce, if desired.
Start to roll from closest to you outward, trying to keep everything tightly held down as you roll. NOTE: It’s worth investing in a sushi rolling mat!
Continue until all of the avocado mixture has been used.
Slice each roll in half or into 6 smaller rolls.
Enjoy with Miso Sauce (delicious!) or tamari/soy sauce.
Must-Make Miso Sauce
- 1/2 inch slice fresh ginger, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1 1/2 tbsp white miso
- 1/4 cup tamari or soy sauce
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tbsp toasted sesame oil
Mix all ingredients together in a bowl, until miso is mostly broken down.