Homemade Paleo-Mayo with Bacon & Eggs
Every morning is an opportunity to dig deeper, start over, eat better, be healthier, live HAPPIER.
It’s whether you take those opportunities and run with them, that shapes that fantastic day, or not-so-fantastic day.
One way to really pounce on that good-day train, is to start your morning with some really really damn-good food. Slathered with homemade Paleo-Mayo.
In my bowl:
- Fresh spinach leaves
- Fluffy scrambled eggs, seasoned lightly with salt and pepper
- Crispy Applewood Smoked bacon
- Ripe tomato slices
Nothing beats this bowl as a wonderful Sunday morning brunch. Well, maybe the steaming side of Fatty Coffee. God, I love that stuff.
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 1/2 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp white vinegar
- 1/4 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp salt plus more to taste
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper (or white pepper)
- 3/4 cup high-quality olive oil, divided
- 1 tbsp capers + 1 tsp caper juice, optional
In a blender or medium bowl, combine egg yolk, lemon juice, vinegar, mustard, and salt. Blend on lowest speed or whisk until mixture becomes bright yellow, about 30 seconds.
Continue to blend (or whisk constantly) and add 1/4 cup oil to yolk mixture, a few drops at a time, about 1-2 minutes blending (or 4 minutes whisking) total. Gradually add remaining 1/2 cup oil in very slow thin stream,again blending or whisking constantly, until mayonnaise is thick (mayonnaise will be lighter in color). Add in the capers and blend until slightly broken down, 15-30 seconds.
Cover and refrigerate. Can be made 2 days ahead and kept for about 8-10 days.
But wait! Don’t just stop there….
Continue to make your own variations with this fun blank canvas!
- Spicy Aioli: add 1 clove garlic + 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- Rich Mayo Dip: 1/4 cup feta or goat cheese, sprinkle in or blend in. Um… wow.
- Wasabi Mayo: add 1/4 tsp wasabi paste
- Roasted Red Pepper: blend in 1/4 cup roasted red peppers
- Green Mayo: blend in 1/2 cup spinach or kale + 1/4 cup cilantro or parsley!
- Herb Infused: blend in basil, cilantro, parsley, sage or a tasty few drops of Essential Oils! (basil, marjoram, oregano, rosemary)
- Orange Infused: add a few drops of Wild Orange Essential Oil
Have you ever made your own mayo? Many of you have, I’m sure. It’s just so easy! And wow- tastes INCREDIBLE. Nothing like ANY store-bought mayo you’ve ever had.
The bacon and eggs part of this dish are also easy! Just fluff come eggs in a pan, roast up some bacon in the oven or in a skillet and put it all together! End of story. Beginning of meal. 🙂