Take two on the ever-popular Paleasagna!
This recipe is grain-free, gluten-free, super low carb, is loaded with veggies and… have YOU made it yet??
If you haven’t yet made (or even seen) the infamous Paleasagna you’re either 1. stuck under a rock, 2. missing out on life, or 3. deprived of this incredible dish.
But if you haven’t seen or made, or even tasted Paleasagna yet, now is the time to try it! And better yet, try its newer version!
- 1 white onion, diced
- 1 pound ground lean turkey + 1/2 pound ground beef (I used 93% lean)
- 1 15oz can diced tomatoes, low sodium
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 3 tbsp Italian spice blend
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 pound of zucchini and/or yellow squash, cut into medallion rounds
- 1/2 cup raw goat cheddar or goat cheese, shredded (reserve a handful for topping)
- 1/4 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese (reserve a small handful for topping)
- 2 cups Greek yogurt
- 2 cups roughly chopped kale
- 1 egg
- 2 cups packed kale leaves, roughly chopped
- 1 cup packed fresh basil leaves
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup toasted walnuts
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
Kale Pesto Directions:
In a food processor, combine the kale, basil, and salt. Pulse 10 to 12 times, until the kale leaves are finely chopped. With the motor running, drizzle in the olive oil. Scrape down the sides of the processor. Add the walnuts and garlic and process again. Add the cheese and pulse to combine. Set aside and start on your Paleasagna.
In a large skillet or sauce pan, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil and add the diced onions. Saute on medium-high until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the ground turkey, ground beef, canned tomato and tomato paste, spices, salt, pepper, and crushed garlic. Continue to cook all ingredients until the meat is cooked through. Set aside.
In a medium bowl, combine raw cheddar/goat cheese, Parmesan cheese, Greek yogurt, 2 cups chopped kale, and egg. Mix well.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Lightly grease the bottom of a 13 x 9 Pyrex glass baking dish. Place a layer of zucchini rounds evenly across the bottom, making a sort of liner.
Add a layer of turkey-beef-tomato sauce on top of the zucchini. Top that with some of the kale and yogurt mixture, then dot with Kale Pesto, as shown above. Continue with this layering process until you have used all of your ingredients.
Top the entire dish with more shredded cheese, if desired.
Bake for 45 to 60 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to sit for 10 minutes before serving.
Layer it all on, Baby!
What Paleasagna variety would you like to see or try??