Decadent Chocolate Cake with Dark Rum Chocolate Frosting (vegan and gluten free!)
It’s about time, isn’t it?
For a new post (it’s been about 4 years now… goodness how fast time flies!).
For some fun and delicious recipes.
Yes, it’s time for cake.
I baked a lot before but being quarantined has given me so much more time to think and reflect on life, that all I want to do is bake. That sounds more fun than dealing with any stress that may be piling up.
That said, the things I have been baking are fun, creative, sometimes time consuming (hello sourdough bread!) and oh-so-good!
This cake is pretty easy to make, comes out absolutely delicious, is moist and chocolaty. Definitely a favorite in my house.
Topped with the coconut cream frosting that’s whipped with cocoa powder and rum take this cake over the top. With our without the rum, this cake is worth making.
I hope you make this cake – Eat, share, enjoy!
Decadent Chocolate Cake with Dark Rum Chocolate Frosting
- 1 cup unsweetened plant-based milk oat is highly recommended
- 1 tbsp white vinegar
- 2 cups all purpose gluten-free flour
- 1 ½ cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup cacao powder
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- ½ cup additional unsweetened plant-based milk
- ½ cup coconut oil melted
- ½ tsp pure vanilla extract or spiced rum
- Preheat the oven to 350° F.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the milk and vinegar, and let sit to create a non-diary buttermilk.
- Sift all the dry ingredients in a medium bowl, whisking to combine.
- In a large bowl, add the buttermilk and all wet ingredients. Mixing well.
- Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients, mixing only until there are no lumps left, make sure to not over mix.
- Grease two 8-inch round cake pans with oil (I used olive oil) and line the bottom with a cut-out round piece of parchment paper.
- Divide the cake batter between the two cake pans. Bake in preheated oven for 30 - 35 minutes.
- Test doneness with toothpick, sticking it in the middle of the cake. If it comes out mostly clean, the cake it done.
- Remove from oven and let cool completely before frosting.
- Frost, top with any additional toppings you'd like.
Dark Rum Chocolate Frosting Instructions
- Remove the coconut cream or milk from the fridge. Remove lid and scrape out the top, thickened cream and leave the liquid behind. Save liquid for future smoothie use!
- Place chilled cream in a mixing bowl. Beat for 30 seconds with a hand or stand mixer until creamy. Then add rum (or vanilla) and powdered sugar and mix until creamy and smooth – about 1 minute. Taste and adjust sweetness as needed.
- To thicken your frosting, add in 1 tbsp powdered sugar at a time OR 1 tbsp tapioca flour, beating well before adding more.
- Use immediately or refrigerate. If you'd like a more set/hardened frosting, chill in fridge before using.
2 People reacted on this
Hi Lori! This looks so yummy! Did you add cocoa powder to the frosting too? It looks chocolatey. If so, how much? Thanks for the recipe and the post!
Hi Theresa! Thanks for catching that! The recipe has been updated! I added about 1/2 cup of cocoa powder.
Comments are closed.